Friday, January 14, 2011

A Roasting we will go, A Roasting we will go

Hi ho the derrio, A Roasting we will go.

Yes, sometimes the teacher in me sneaks out. We sing all day long. Often songs we make up.

My aunts gifted me some new canning jars for Christmas. Of course with the condition that they wanted a few returned filled with awesome yummyness. So I pick up this book from the library and get inspired. Well, overwhelmed to be more exact. Everything looks amazing and sounds yummy and this book sat in my kitchen for 7 weeks before I decided where to start.

Presenting...Roasted Bell Pepper Soup

Isn't is just beautiful!

Having never roasted my own peppers, I wasn't aware of what I was
getting into. Well 4 roasting pans, each making 2 rotations in the oven later; my house smelled divine and I was left with these beauties.
Have you ever peeled the charred skin off 12 peppers? Not too fun.
Ann called while I was covered in pepper slime (mind you, not as gooey as tomato slime) and provided a well needed distraction.
The recipe called for chunking up the roasted peppers, but I decided to present this as a challenge to my blender...turned out okay for me in the end and I didn't have to add an additional layer of pepper slime to my counter.

Into the pot, stir while it attains the proper temperature and seasonings, then bust out the handy dandy immersion blender. Which after borrowing this weekend I am now coveting.

The recipe suggested using a steady hand to simultaneously pour the 2 soups into 1 bowl, creating a 2 toned soup. Well, pouring soup with a steady hand is more difficult than I thought it would be.
Jesse proceeded to fill every spoonful with half of each soup. I didn't have the patience for that.

Am I glad I have 6 pints of this yummy goodness canned? Heck Ya! Will I peel 12 peppers again to create this soup? Doubtful. Enjoy it while it lasts.

2 comments:

  1. it was so yummy, just such a pain to make! I have a feeling I'll be hoarding my last jar of this one

    ReplyDelete