Monday, January 3, 2011

Remembering the fun

"Without fun, we learn nothing but harsh lessons. It's fun to satisfy our intellectual, emotional, and physical curiosities, in fact that's the only way we can do it. Fun is real. Fun is not frivolous, it's central. Fun is the most valuable thing there is. I'm here to tell you, if it's not fun, you're not doing it right." -Teacher Tom

One of my goals for the year, is to focus on the fun. I easily get bogged down by the monotony of wiping noses, rubbing backs and changing diapers. When asked about my day, I recall the 20 minute tantrum about washing hands or the shock of, wait- I'm not supposed to eat the sand?

But my job is so much bigger than that. I want to remember the so much bigger than things...

So I'm choosing to ignore the parent who at the end of a very hectic day while toddler tantrums were erupting in the room decides now is the time to launch into a 5 minute monolouge as to why his child has a bit of poop in his underwear. It couldn't be that his son is only a week into pottytraining, and sometimes doesn't have it quite down yet? Nope, instead it's because I didn't properly supervise him. I didn't thoroughly check him after each potty turn to be sure a bit of poo didn't squeeze its way out. I'm sorry, but I did watch him, and your kid is 3. I fully expect him to be able to tell me when his bottom hurts or just doesn't feel right. But please feel free to tell me all about the proper way to wipe your kids butt, cause I've never done it before.

Instead I want to remember...

When one of the kiddos noticed my painted nails..."Carri, you have paint on your nails! Can I see it? It's so sparkly!"

How my 6 oldest kiddos played together, like actually together. Working on a common idea towards a common goal. And that I only had to step in twice to intervene. Wait...are we actually maturing?!?!

Let's see what today brings...

No comments:

Post a Comment