Thursday, January 24, 2013

This is the story

Of a small shiny object that got hopelessly lost (and the adventure of finding it)

It begins during the day o'fun. Declared so as a way to embrace the amazingly warm January day. Ignoring the upcoming disappearance of one Jesse Stout.

Brunch and downtown strolling followed by yard work and planting of the Christmas tree.


We have this idea to plant all of our Christmas Trees- I know that they'll lose their glittery coating, but I'm so excited to remember- oh that was the first tree in our house- awww


Someone may not be as excited as I

The afternoon was filled with cleaning gutters and last minute target runs.  It was then that someone noticed.  Crap, I don't have my ring.  (spoiler: not me)

You see, when we first moved into the house, we created a ring cup.  
A shot glass on the microwave for holding our shiny bands while we engage in the grimy tasks of home ownership.  

Occasionally rings have been misplaced for a moment.  
This time, it was more than just a moment.

The search commences.
Armed with flashlights and rainboots
     cause now its dark and muddy
We scour the flowerbeds, the roof and the yard.
Convinced its buried along with our tree, poor little tree is yanked from the ground.

After an hour I call off the search.  
We'll check again when its daylight.
Someone has to be at the airport at 8:00
Sunrise is at 7:52

In the first beginnings of dawn we trudge through the mud
One last hopeful search 
Putting on a brave face as we discard our muddy gear for more appropriate airport clothes
     yep, mine were jammies
I have a secret plan: continuing the search.
First time climbing on a roof- this was my fake brave face before I climbed the ladder
Didn't realize how much I don't like heights
     including the height of a one story roof
I may or may not have crab crawled around that roof

After making it back down
Digging through the mud
Inch by inch searching the path we trudged post tree burying/unburying
Giving up and trying to decide if I should just order him a new one, 
Knowing it might get back here before he does
Getting on with my day and declaring, we'll just have to go back to Hawaii

Turning out the light to climb into bed,
Wait?  What's that shiny round thing on the floor?!?!
The working theory?  It fell out of someone's pants pocket when they're pants where haphazardly thrown on the floor

Thanks to the postal system (even if they did lose it for a day)
The ring is back just where it belongs

No comments:

Post a Comment