Friday, June 1, 2012

a group effort

Right out of high school dear friends of mine joined the army
     well technically not the army
this meant training, a decent job, steady income
plans and possibilities for the future

I hated that they couldn't make it home for long weekends and holidays
I hated that trying to reach them on the phone involved very complicated time zone math
but this was pre 9/11 so really what was the concern?

And then everything changed
I love our soldiers, I hate what they have to do
     what they see, what they hear, what stays with them

I hated holding my breath,
     waiting for the phone call
          what time is it there?  Oh me too!
So, so, so glad they made it home

5 years ago my company hosted a homecoming ceremony
Standing with families as they waited and watched and cheered as the buses came into view
Grateful spouses, shy kids and proud parents welcoming home their soldiers

Tears streaming down my face as I realized what I missed
So appreciative of all the others who welcomed my soldiers home because I was too far away

Uber excited that I'm close enough to welcome this one home
Directions scouted out?  check!
Alarm set?  check!
Waterproof Mascara?  check!

And what would a celebration be without a glitter poster


whats that in the corner?
Trying to keep the poster family friendly
but still a nod to humor, and a tattoo


No comments:

Post a Comment