Sunday, December 25, 2011

"Spicy" Parsnip Soup

spoiler alert: this turned out not so spicy

So Jesse headed out of town for work- must mean that Winter is officially here. So glad not to be him and his working in 15* temperatures and pulling 16 hour days and what not. I'll take my toddlers over that anytime.

After a hectic day out East at Mamas Christmas (no drama this year- unusual) Sunday was spent in jammies at the stove. I climbed into my favorite apron, poured myself a big glass of wine and got to cooking.

Found my recipe here courtesy of Pinterest. Have I mentioned how much i heart Pinterest. Its addicting and I love it, clearly.

Confession: Never purchased a parsnip before, was a bit surprised to discover they look just like big white carrots.

Remembered how much I hate chopping Veggies. Jesse usually does this task. Decide to pretend I'm like one of those TV chefs. Amazed I didn't chop off a finger in this process.

Confession #2: I don't peel veggies, ever. A good scrubbing and I figure any dirt that's left on is good for ya right? I do think this lack of peeling made my finished product a little more brown than bright yellow. No problem, just add more Tumeric. Which may quickly become my new favorite seasoning- even if it did stain my immersion blender.

Any good soup is best served in my favorite Soup Mug accompanied by crunchy bread :)

The verdict: The soup was not spicy enough for its billing of "Spicy Parsnip Soup" Added some smoked paprika, salt/pepper and finally stirred in a generous pour of hot sauce-mmmm much better.

Will it makes it's way into my rotation of favorite soups? Nah, but it did taste good and it did make my house smell yummy.

Next up: Potato Leek




No comments:

Post a Comment