Thursday, June 4, 2009

A quick year

Last weekend I had a realization- it was this time a year ago I began job hunting.  I knew I was leaving my old job.  I knew, they knew, all that was left was to find out what's next.  I knew my old boss was holding out hope that I couldn't find anything, then I would be forced to stay on a bit longer.  But we began the search for my replacement.  We began the search before I began my search for what was coming next.

I remember a conversation towards the end of May with Liz (who would turn into the next Carri)  I heard that she was considering applying for the position.  I told her she would be great at it, and to get her resume in that week- cause I knew we were working on a quick deadline.  My boss was leaving on vacation at the end of June.  We needed to have my replacement before then, so I could "pass on my knowledge."  

We were busy at work, so I put off the stress of job hunting.  Plus I know my field.  They post for open positions and often want to hire w/in 2 weeks.  Its very quick.  So I put off the stress.  It was too much to think about.  I told myself, Memorial Day.  Memorial Day I will sit down at my computer.  Rewrite my resume and find me a job.

And I did.

Take that you nay-sayers who were telling me to job hunt sooner!  Take that you people who say I don't know what I'm doing!  The job I have now is the first one I applied for.  Not the first interview, I think it was my 2nd.  (Got a practice interview in during the meantime)  Interviewed a few places after that and realized I really really wanted the job at NBCC.  

And then I got in.  Much cheering and dancing about!

June 30th is my anniversay date.  My boss gets us flowers on our anniversary.  Yay for flowers.  It's been a very quick year.  But I finally feel great in the classroom, I feel ownership of it.  Sometimes my ideas are heard.  If not, I kinda do it anyway, just a lil bit sneaky about it.

For example, I wanted to add a small table in the corner of our room so I did.  I didn't ask first, cause I would have gotten a No.  So I just did and I like it.  

Usually after being in a job ofr 9 months I get a lil wanderlusty.  Not yet.  Interesting, does this mean I'm a grownup now?

No comments:

Post a Comment