Thursday, December 3, 2009

Potty Talk

Yesterday as Ana was going to the bathroom before nap we had rather an interesting conversation.

Ana: I'm gonna stand up.

Me: What?

Ana: I'm gonna stand up and go potty.

Me: No, I need you to sit down and go potty.

Ana: Why?

And here in lies the trouble of striving to be a great educator...I refrained from saying, cause I said so. Even though that would have been so much easier. I strive for avoiding this phrase because I honestly believe that the children learn more from the discussions that follow the endless string of Whys?

That being said, I will not continually walk down that perilous path of answering every why question, because if I did I would lose my voice. (can't wait till this phase is over) But I often indulge for a few moments. So here is how I answered sweet little Ana...

Me: Girls pee sitting down.

Ana: Why?

Me: Daddy's pee standing up, but girls need to sit down to pee Really really hoping this covers it

Ana: Why?

Me: Well, what do Daddy's have

Ana's face lights up as she exclaims: Daddy's have Enis!

Me: That's right, Daddy's have penises and thats why they can pee standing up. What do you have?

Ana very seriously: I have gina.

Me: That's right you have a vagina just like mommy and thats why you have to sit down to go potty.

And that right there is why I love my job. While sharing this fun tidbit with some friends last night, one challenged me. Apparently there are techniques and body positions that with training allow a woman to stand up as she pees. They think I need to begin incorporating this into my curriculum. Ha, I don't need any more body fluids covering the bathroom floor- no thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment