Thursday, May 26, 2011

a tradition

Sad Monster, Glad Monster is a favorite in my classroom right now. One each page the monster tells us all the things that make him sad, glad, angry, silly...

We have a tradition. After we read each page, we all close our eyes, take a deep breath and (mostly) one at a time tell each other what makes us feel...

Surprise fresh flowers in my delivered produce, coming home to a clean kitchen, peeks of sunshine after long rainy days
make me glad

Long rainy days, saying goodbye, parents who ignore the fun stories of their kids adventures and focus on but did you "learn anything today"
make me sad

Jumping in puddles, winning penny slot machine games, shaking glitter onto posterboard (and the living room rug)
make me silly

Broken windows, parents who let their children play in the middle of the street, waiters who ignore my table then don't collect my payment expecting me to find the hidden register myself
make me angry (and find themselves footing my bill)

Friends headed for far away places, unexpected noises in the middle of the night and threats of tornadoes
make me worried (not necessarily b/c of the impending destruction,
rather the nightmare of entertaining toddlers in a dark basement
hallway for hours on end)

1 comment:

  1. I am going to have to get that book!! Last night was crazy right? I will have to tell you about how I found our monster during the storm.

    ReplyDelete