Monday, August 3, 2009

Mo Money

I've been a part of several (very different) money related conversations this week. Maybe I'm at that point in life where as "grownups" we sit around and discuss these important topics. Or maybe its the state of our economy. We can't help but bitch.

Its budget time where I work and I have the (un?)fortunate opportunity to speak for the staff at the board meetings. What this ends up looking like? Lots of listening, lots of bitching when I return home and a bit of speaking. I choose the philosophy of speaking few, but powerful words. The current argument? a .5% difference in raises. a) we deserve raises, don't you dare say we don't! b) the .5% difference you're arguing about amounts to like 5 c/hour. Seriously? Seriously.

The big argument came from the fact that few if any folks out there are getting raises. And we're asking for a tuition increase. We have to raise tuition b/c according to worker's comp, i'm suddenly worth a lot more money. Or at least their charging double for me (cause I'm that awesome!) Oh yeah and food. Can't cut out food. That would lead to very cranky children. So in the midst of these rising costs, and a modest raise, we have to raise tuition. Worker's comp raised their rates to cover costs. Grocery stores raised their prices to cover costs. Were raising tuition to cover costs. Get over it

A friend was sharing about student loans and that they're acruing $1000 interest a month. Interest!!!!! The monthly payment for that loan? something like 50% more than I make a month!!!!! How can you not see that something is broken with this system. Now, yes, once he finishes school he will make bocu bucks and be able to pay off the loan. However, someone is making bocu bucks off his interest. And I'm betting its those same damn loan folks that just fcked our country's housing market. ok now I'm angry

And the final financial conversation of the weekend. I was told "not that you dont deserve to make more money, but you did choose your career field" I know that! But that doesn't mean I'm not going to advocate for equal representation! And yes, I chose my career field, but you know what You Chose Me!

I'm not a money minded person. I can handle my own personal finances. Am attempting to understand this joint financial thingy. And can't even begin to fathom a businesses financing.

I'm exhausted and its only 9 am

No comments:

Post a Comment